Love is the best gift that money can’t buy. There’s an endless supply of it. Many people give it willingly. But what makes it so special is that it can be taken away. Everyone wants to keep it forever but in some cases it can expire.
Luckily, there is more than one way to get it. You don’t have to wait around for someone else to give it to you because you can give it to yourself – with no expiration date. Self-love is something you can keep as long as you allow yourself to have it. Daily affirmations serve as a constant reminder that you deserve to be loved. Knowing this will change your outlook on life and leave you happier and healthier!
Here’s a few affirmations to get you started:
- I deserve love, joy, and happiness.
- I respect myself.
- My body is beautiful and unique.
- I can conquer the world.
- Happiness is found within myself.
- I believe in myself.
Self-love is in your control. No one can take that away from you. But your daily affirmations should be specific to you. What makes you special?
How to make your affirmations work:
- Make a list of things that you may not like about yourself. Maybe you don’t like the way your nose is just a little bit crooked or maybe someone told you that you’re not good enough. These things can be your own thoughts or someone else’s.
- Write down affirmations to parallel and contradict those negative things. Your nose was passed down through the family and made you you. You are good enough. Write them down in a journal. Put them on colorful sticky notes and stick them around your house: on your mirror, dresser drawer, door, etc. Anywhere that reminds you of those negative things. Repeat these daily with confidence.
- This is optional…Play some music! Listening to songs about loving yourself is a great way to start the day or improve your mood during a lull. A few that get me fired up are “Go Your Own Way” by Fleetwood Mac, “Fighter” by Christina Aguilera, and “Respect” by Aretha Franklin. Find the songs that make you feel like you can do anything!
Of course, you’re thinking just saying these things won’t change the way I think or what others think about me. Well, it’s kind of like when you fake smile or laugh; it usually turns into something genuine. Same goes for confidence and self love. And who cares what others think! It’s your life. Don’t let the nay-sayers control how you live it.
Love won’t be found underneath a Christmas tree or in a beautifully wrapped present on your birthday. You find it within yourself.